Mehudar Tefillin Gassot (“thick phylacteries”) are made out of a single piece of thick leather shaped by repeatedly applying several tons of pressure in industrial presses as part of a complicated, but delicate and exacting production process. The resulting battim (“houses”) are so thick and durable that they can be reshaped even if damaged.
All stages of production, from inserting the parchments to closing and painting the battim and all other finishing steps of making your tefillin are done in Jerusalem under the kashrut supervision of Rabbi Shammai K'hat HaCohen Gross, head of Mishmeret HaKodesh for STa"M.
- Mehudar parchments written by highly skilled soferim (photocopy of actually writing included)
- Checked three times for accuracy (a computer scan + two traditional checks)
- Crafted to exacting specifications (each side 33 mm)
- Thick, durable cowhide (behema gassa) to retain shape and last a lifetime
- Made under the supervision of Rabbi Yaakov Meir Stern or Rabbi Moshe Flumenbaum (right)
- Professional finishing work under the supervision of Rabbi Shamai Kehat HaKohen Gross
- Straps made from top-quality leather, hand-made throughout (avodat yad)
- Leshem kedushat tefillin in all stages of production
- Computer scan certificate from Mishmeret HaSTaM
- Free velvet bag
- Free protective cases
Some customers have specific requests regarding the custom for how to tie the knots on the straps of the Shel Yad and the Shel Rosh. If you have special requests, please note that in the comments field during checkout. If you do not include special requests, the straps will be prepared as follows:
Chassidic (Arizal/Nusach Sfard):
- Shel Yad - outward wrap
- Shel Rosh - Square knot ("Double Dalet")
Ashkenazi (Beit Yosef):
- Shel Yad - inward wrap
- Shel Rosh - Dalet knot
3 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
These tefillin are great. They've made my tefilah much more meaningful.
High Quality, Excellent Fit, Superbly packaged - no issues upon receipt. This is the 2nd Tefillin I've ordered for my family. More to come, G-d willing.
The quality is superb and the mehudar plus option is a must have for any Jew who considers himself observant.